Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mere Christianity

If anyone knows me at all, they know that I am a total bookworm. I adore books...books of any kind. Fiction/nonfiction, romance/adventure, fantasy/mysteries...etc. You get the picture. My current read is C.S. Lewis'Mere Christianity. I grew up watching the old The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe series, and read the books as well, and I loved Narnia and Prince Caspian. But I have never ready any of C.S. Lewis' other works until now. I've always wanted to, and I have no good excuse for not. He is quoted so often by General Authorities and in church lessons that he is obviously worth reading, right? Right! He absolutely is...whether you are Christian or not, I 100% recommend this book. He provides an unequaled opportunity for believers and nonbelievers alike to hear a powerful and rational case for Christianity. If you have have any desire to learn more about the Christian faith, whether it be for personal, religious, or educational purposes, Mere Christianity is the book for you. I have even made it incredibly easy for you to take the first step toward reading the book, which is of course purchasing it. Below are links to purchase Mere Christianity from Amazon.com in hardback or paperback. I really hope that if you have any interest at all in Christianity and it's doctrine, beliefs, and teachings, that you will purchase the book and read it, you will not regret it!

Next on my list are The Screwtape Letters and The Weight of Glory

One of my favorite C.S Lewis quotes thus far comes from The Weight of Glory.
"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no "ordinary" people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

....Humbling, no? And definitely gives a whole new meaning to the Golden Rule. And that to me sums up what Christianity is all about anyways, loving our family, our friends, our neighbors, strangers, and even our enemies. Because that is what Christ did. And what He does even now, because He lives. Christ lives. Christlike love really is the solution to all of the evils and problems of our world.

Anthony Burgess, New York Times Book Review, said "C.S. Lewis is the ideal persuader for the half convinced, for the good man who would like to be a Christian but finds his intellect getting in the way."







No comments:

Post a Comment